Staying hydrated in the UAE heat
Summer is here and the heat is on.
Here are some simple steps to ensure you stay hydrated
- Make sure you have a drink with each meal such as a glass of low fat milk, soy beverage or water.
- Drink a glass of water before eating your meals.
- Carry a container of water with you throughout the day.
- Do not ignore thirst. Drink water or another healthy drink when you feel thirsty.
- Drink a glass of water when you wake up each morning and before you go to bed.
- Keep a fresh glass of water by your desk or on hand where you work.
- If you get bored at the thought of drinking plain water, try livening up your water by adding fresh lemon or fruit.
- Drink coconut water which is also a great way to stay hydrated while providing essential minerals our bodies need.
There are occasions when you may need extra help. It is important to drink fluids when you are feeling unwell. If you have diarrhea or are vomiting and think you may be dehydrated, consult a doctor immediately.
Pregnant women also need to take extra precaution and make sure they drink plenty of fluids to help prevent constipation. If you are breastfeeding, increasing your fluids intake may help maintain your milk supply. Drink a glass of water each time you breastfeed to help you stay hydrated.
If you feel symptoms of dehydration, call 800 4272 or email [email protected] and ask for an appointment with one of our GPs/Family Medicine doctors.
Let this summer be a healthy and enjoyable one for all of us!