Prof. Dr. Joseph Abboud is a well-renowned French Gynecologist, Obstetrician, and Breast Surgeon, with more than 40 years of experience. He is a Master in high-level laparoscopic surgeries such as myomectomy, hysterectomy, gynecological cancers, treatment of endometriosis, and treatment of genital prolapse, among others.
Prof. Dr. Joseph Abboud is a pioneer in his specialty in Lebanon and the Middle East:
- He performed the first breast conservative treatment for breast cancer in the Middle East in 1978
- He performed the first laparoscopic gynecologic surgery in Lebanon in 1978
- He performed the first IVF procedure in the Middle East in 1986; with the first delivery after pregnancy by IVF in 1989
- He performed the first uterine transplantation in the Middle East in 2018.
He was the head of Gynecology and Obstetrics at Hôtel-Dieu de France University Hospital in Beirut and Chairman of the Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics at St. Joseph University, a leading medical school in Lebanon, and Dean of the Midwifery School of the same university. He trained numerous gynecologists and midwives. He is currently the Chairman of the Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics at Bellevue University Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon.
He is a member of multiple medical societies, and the Founding President of the Association of the French-Speaking Gynecologists in 1999 in Lebanon, organizing a yearly medical symposium to discuss the most recent advances in the field.
Prof. Dr. Abboud is committed to helping his patients make well-informed decisions about their health. He advocates minimally invasive surgery to reduce postoperative pain and hospitalization time and accelerate recovery.
- French Medical School, Saint-Joseph University, including Internship at Hotel-Dieu de France
- Resident of Obstetrics and Gynecology, French Maternity of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
- Resident in Gynecologic and Oncologic Surgery, Pitié-Salpétriére Hospital, Paris, France
- Resident in General and Oncologic Surgery, Curie Institute in Paris, France
- Resident in General and Oncologic Surgery, Gustave-Roussy Institute
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
- French State Diploma of Doctor in Medicine
- French State Diploma of Gynecology (C.E.S.)
- President of the Lebanese Fertility Society
- Coordinator of the European Society of Endoscopic Surgery
- Coordinator of the Endoscopic Surgery at the MEFS (Middle East Fertility Society)
- Member of the Lebanese Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Member of the Lebanese Society of Oncology
- Member of the Middle East Fertility Society
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Medical Journal “Monde Medical”
- Member of the Writing Committee of the European Journal of Contraception
- Vice-President of the French Speaking Society of Contraception
- Founding President of the Association of the French Speaking Gynecologists Created in 1999 in Beirut,
Lebanon (president till date)